Saturday, August 1, 2009

Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

hey!



Recently, I dyed my hair brown. on august 4th.



It was blonde and my roots were coming in pretty bad. Ive always dyed it blonde, but i was sick of my roots, so i decided to go back to my original color. a light brown.



Well I went to the salon, and she made it such a nice brown! I loved it!



Not even a month later, its faded! Im so mad! Everyone cant believe it! I went back to the salon and asked if I could get a discount if she did it again just because it didnt last. she said no because it was a semi permanent dye, which i didnt know! And she said if she used a permanent dye, it would only last 1-2 weeks longer thatn what it had. so i didnt do it. Then i went to another salon to get their view, and the lady there said she'd have to dye it red and then brown to make the color stay on the blonde! is this true? I dont know who to believe now! I dont want any red in my hair whatsoever! i just want to know if anyones gone from blonde to brown and had to dye it red first? hmm..



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

Yes, it's called a filler. When going from brown to blonde you need to add red first so when you apply the brown it will stay in your hair longer. See, when you dye your hair blonde you strip it of all the pigment so it's like a hollow strand of hair and the brown has nothing to adhere to, thus, it fades quickly. I've gone back and forth from blonde to brown in the past and the only way to get the brown to last is with a filler. Blonde is EXTREMELY damaging to the hair and it reflects light rather than shadowing light as the brown does. I would have the filler applied then the brown and keep it that way! Brown hair looks shinier and MUCH healthier than blonde. Hope this helps! Peace %26amp; Love! P.S. You won't see the red at all!!



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

I would go to Sally Beauty, get a darkish brown color, and dye it myself!



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

to much to read. bla bla.. . MMmh blond.



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

dye it your self get a brown color at sally's



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

dying over blonde it will fade. Semi-permenant IS best because it's not as damaging and will last about just as long. I can't imagine dying it red before brown would make it fade any less but when it does fade it will fade to a warmer tone instead of an ashy gray color. Use the 24 shampoo dyes they have at any store and have a friend dye it for you or just do it yourself. It will save you a ton of money.



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

I have the exact same hair color and problem. I think you'll just have to let all that colored blonde grow out and eventually the brown color will stay. Until then, unfortunately, the brown will continue to fade but each time a little less.



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

Well... ACTUALLY if it's really blonde, it normal for it to fade, you would have to either dye it a really dark color.... or dye it a few times for the color to stay.... sorry!!



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

okay, here's the deal. blonde is a light haircolor that's undertone is yellow. Brown is a deeper color that's undertone is red. in order to get from blonde to brown and have it look halfway decent and have it stay, you need to fill in the missing pigment. In your case, the blonde hair was missing red pigement. What should have been done is as follows: your hair should have been "filled" with the missing red pigment using a semiperm color. then it should have been colored with a permanent brown of your choice. this would produce a strong true color that has a dramatically less chance of fading. the first hairdresser either didnt know what she was doing, or did a quick fix.



i hope this was helpful. best of luck.



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

I have done this several times and NEVER had to go to red! Just get a box of level 3 hair color at the drugstore in a shade that is closest to the color you want, I like Feria, and go for it. Or you can just keep doing a level 2 semi permanent at home, every two weeks. Buy some color depositing shampoo too, Artec is awesome. The color you start with might be a little dark but should fade a tiny bit and still be pretty. It's tough to get the right color on the first try.



Is your color getting green at all? That happened to be when I used semi permanent color from blonde to brown but, when I used the level 3 color it was perfect! Going a little darker, even than my natural color, was FUN!



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

She is absolutely correct. If she does not add that red back into your hair you will end up with Green hair... There is a color scheme that must be followed - especially with dying hair! I did this to myself a few years ago... and had to walk around with puke Green hair for a bit because I didn't believe that they had to do all that to fix it....



Thankfully I wised up and listened to the hairstylist... And the color was beautiful!



Hair coloring: blonde to brown?

Hey chicky I'm the same, was always blonde and then I went brunette. My haridressers put a filler in my hair because if she dyded it brown, it would've gone like an orangey colour because blonde is so light!



So she put this *hideous* orangey-red colour on and then applied on top of this the brown demi-permanent (24 wash, they usually just call it a semi though, however semi's in supermarkets are diff, 8-10 washes). Looked great!



I maintain my hair at home now with a demi-permanent (24 washes), same as what she used - I use L'Oreal Casting - GREAT colour just make sure to follow the correct instructions (one is for roots and one is for all over colour). I've never had to put red in my hair since it's been coloured and your hairdresser should've put red in your hair in the first place. However, I know that when my colour fades it goes a reddish-brown unfortunately.... basically when you dye blonde hair (coloured blonde hair) it doesn't ever 'wash' out, the colour needs to be stripped out.



Also, *make sure* you use a shampoo and conditioner that is for brown hair - I used to use any, and now that I'm using John Freida, I've noticed a hell of a difference in that my hair colour lasts so much longer so it's definitely an investment (don't go for the cheaper ones like sunsilk for brunettes, they're not very good). And *never* use anti-dandruff shampoo on coloured hair as it strips the colour away...



Hope this helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment